Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tribes: Ascend - The worthy successor to the best game ever made...or GOTTA GO FAST

I'm T-Paine, you know me? Reputation: 595 Shade-of-Grey's Avatar

Default Tribes: Ascend - The worthy successor to the best game ever made...or GOTTA GO FAST

Review #1 (no score given by PA Report. High praise): http://penny-arcade.com/report/edito...-tribes-ascend
    Review #2 10/10: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-ascend-review
    Review #3 88 + editor's choice: http://www.pcgamer.com/review/tribes-ascend-review-2/

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this here.

Anyone who has me friended on steam has probably seen me playing shit load of dota 2...broken up only by a shit load of Tribes: Ascend.

Tribes 2 was my first "real" fps game - I had played some unreal tourney, some quake, etc, but never GOTTEN INTO gaming until tribes 2. Never joined a clan or used voicechat or played a game until I was really fucking good.

I'm going to give it to you guys quick and dirty because I only make short posts. Tribes is an FPS game where two teams try to capture the flag. There are a number of roles required for this...defense...flag capper...flag chaser....base destroying offense...base defending...engineers...etc.

The thing that makes tribes unique is the fact that every player has a goddamn jetpack strapped to his back. This is what makes tribes the best game ever. Skill in tribes is not dependent upon twitch like counter-strike...it's dependent on being able to make estimations in your head. Just yesterday I made what might have been the most amazing grenade throw in all of human history on a flag capper who was going 300 KPH. The feeling after landing it and winning the game by returning the flga was amazing. This is why I love tribes.

Tribes: Ascend is the new, **FREE** successor to tribes. As an unabashed fanboy of tribes I was going to be the hardest to impress...I'm impressed. This is not the abortion that was Tribes: Vengeance. This is tribes as it should be in the year 2012. I love the game. This is one of my favorite games in a long time and it's COMPLETELY FUCKING FREE. Come play with me and I will learn you good.

You guys should try it out and come play with me on steam or on TMH mumble. I play pretty much every day. In game name is "russter"

Create a FREE Account (if you're goin to sign up...which you should...use this referral link so I get xp and shit...please)
    Last edited by Shade-of-Grey; Apr 18th, 2012 at 03:44 PM.

Nightman, sneaky and mean Reputation: 814 Fenris Wolf's Avatar

Default Re: Tribes: Ascend - The worthy successor to the best game ever made...or GOTTA GO FAST

I've been rocking this beta for awhile, there should've been a post down there about it. I just haven't had an opportunity to play the official version yet, but the beta really didn't need a whole lot in the way of polish. My only gripe (and it's truly a minor one) is that you are class locked to specific weapons. Not a big deal, as tribes as always had several class locked weapons (and all it's mods), but a few of them could really use some extra. The last update prior to this made it more friendly in that regard, and I highly endorse it. Too bad it'll be a week before I get an opportunity to play again :/

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTalk
    i used to play with the little ones back when i was really young, and as i got older i started playing with the 12inch ones.

Daffy English K-niggett Reputation: 1216 WHEATLEY007's Avatar

Default Re: Tribes: Ascend - The worthy successor to the best game ever made...or GOTTA GO FAST

Cheers - I'm gonna try to get this for my LAN parties.

HAY SAILOR!!! Reputation: 1007 HS the Wasp's Avatar

Every Tribes game since Tribes 1 sucked a giant bag of cock. I played competitively in T1 and T2 and the only thing that made T2 worth playing was Base++ when they finally make it like Tribes 1.

I'll bring that bitch a teddy bear. Bitches love teddy bears.

Nightman, sneaky and mean Reputation: 814 Fenris Wolf's Avatar

Whappy, I'm the same way, and so is my brother. Hell, he STILL plays T1. Whenever I go home for a few days I bring my laptop and he basically uses it the entire time to play Ascend. His only complaint is that the jetpacks feel underpowered, and I agree with him. You just don't get the lift you are used to, or there's less energy available. Either way, the game play is pure classic Tribes with skiing as a skill as opposed to a glitch. Besides, it's fucking free, PLAY THE GODDAMN THING!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTalk
    i used to play with the little ones back when i was really young, and as i got older i started playing with the 12inch ones.

HAY SAILOR!!! Reputation: 1007 HS the Wasp's Avatar

Lets watch this for enjoyment:

The Best of the Best 2:

Can't find BotB1 on Youtube and it's pissing me off because I was in it :|

I'll bring that bitch a teddy bear. Bitches love teddy bears.

Quite. Reputation: 1353 SwedeIndeed's Avatar

so basically this is a game about jumping? reminds me of quake with no gravity
    Semper primus.

PUCKISH ROGUE! Reputation: 1695 Penguin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwedeIndeed View Post
    so basically this is a game about jumping? reminds me of quake with no gravity
    Born in the 90s eh

"Do you think he would he would like 'The Man Who Hung Himself'? It appears to be about an amorous plastic surgeon."
    -EDI, Mass Effect 3

Quite. Reputation: 1353 SwedeIndeed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Born in the 90s eh
    close but no cigar
    Semper primus.

Friend Reputation: 410 Moldiver's Avatar

Thread Information